- transport policy | road transport
Impact of the economic recession on the road transport market
Hearing of the road haulage sector
Brussels, 20 April 2009
The Commission has invited representatives of European road haulage associations to attend a high-level meeting in order to discuss the impact of the economic recession on the road transport sector. The event, which will take place on 20 April 2009, will bring together speakers from the road transport industry, employees' organisations, European institutions and the academic world.
The event will be structured in several sessions. The short introductory session will be followed by four panel discussions. Each panel will focus on a specific aspect of the economic downturn, namely the impact on the demand for road freight transport, the employment situation, financing and developing technologies, and future business and policy strategies. The panel discussions will allow stakeholders to voice their views whilst offering an overview of possible solutions. The discussions of the day will be wrapped up in a closing session.
Any practical questions regarding the hearing can be sent to the following mailbox: TREN-E1-SECRETARIAT@ec.europa.eu
Read more on "Haulage"
- Matthias Ruete, Director General for Energy and Transport
- Mathieu Grosch, Member of the European Parliament
Panel session: The economic downturn
- Christian Kille, Head of Logistics Market Intelligence, Fraunhofer Institute: "The economic and financial crisis and its impact on the road transport market"
- Pere Padrosa, Vice President, International Road Transport Union (IRU) and President, IRU Goods Transport Council: "The hauliers' perspective"
Panel session: The employment situation
- Francesco Del Boca, President, Union Européenne des Transporteurs Routiers and UEAPME Transport Forum: "The situation of small operators in the haulage industry"
Panel session: Innovation in transport
- Boguslaw Liberadzki, Member of the European Parliament: "Preparing for the future of road transport"
- Guido Prud'homme, Managerial Adviser Operational Lending Policies, European Investment Bank: "Transport technology innovation – the role of the EIB"
- Hasse Johansson, ACEA and Executive Vice President R&D, SCANIA: "Technical progress in the truck manufacturing sector"
Panel session: Business and policy strategies
- György Wáberer, CEO of Waberer's Holding "The road of the future: intermodal logistic services"
- Zoltán Kazatsay, Deputy Director General for Energy and Transport, European Commission: "Community strategies"