Luis Francisco Valente de Oliveira was born at São João da Madeira in 1937.
1973-1975: Head of the Technical Office of the Northern Region Planning Commission
1978-1979: Minister of Education and Scientific Research
1979-1985: Chairman of the Northern Region Co-ordination Commission
1985-1995: Minister of Planning and Territorial Administration
2002-2003: Minister of Public Works, Transports and Housing
Mr Valente de Oliveira formerly acted as representative of the Portuguese Government and expert adviser at various technical committees of the O.E.C.D. and the Council of Europe.
He has been founder and President of the Conference of Peripheral Maritime Regions of the European Economic Community and currently President of its Scientific Board.
Since 1980: Full Professor at University of Oporto, Faculty of Engineering (Town and Country Planning: Transportation Planning: Regional Development Planning)
Since 2007: European Coordinator for the Motorways of the Sea
- Member of the Academy of Engineering (Portugal)
- Councilor-member of the Portuguese Institution of Engineers
- Member of the Board of the Entrepreneurs Association of Portugal
- President of the Municipal Assembly of Oporto (Supervisory Body of the Executive)
- Decorations: Grand Cross of Military Order of Christ (Portugal), Grand Cross of the Order of Prince Henry the Navigator (Portugal), Commander of the Order of Nossa Senhora da Conceição de Vila Viçosa (Portugal), Grand Cross of the Order of the Southern Cross (Brazil), the Grand-Cross of the Order of Honour (Greece), Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur (France).
On 12th March 2014 Mr De Oliveira was appointed European Coordinator for the Motorways of the Sea. His mandate run until end of June 2014.