Welcome to the Commission’s guidance for cycling projects in the EU.
The intended users of the guidance are practitioners in city authorities with responsibility for cycling and/or
sustainable transport. It is hoped that it is also of interest and use for other stakeholders connected to cycling
Users of this guidance for cycling projects in the EU are directed to relevant existing EC-funded projects,
guidance, best practice and other publications that have been produced within Europe.
Where appropriate, high level advice is supported by the use of city case studies, which have been
developed for the purposes of this guidance.
Particular focus has been given to the collation of information and guidance on cycling measures,
again supported by city case study information.
This guidance has been based on the support study "Guidance for Cycling Projects in the EU" undertaken by Ricardo
Energy & Environment (UK), FGM-AMOR (AT) and TEPR (UK) and it does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the European Commission. The European Commission is not responsible for any use that may be made of the information contained herein
Readers are welcome to provide comments and feedback to MOVE-CYCLING@ec.europa.eu
- Preparing city cycling strategies and plans
- City Visions - What type of city do I want my city to be?
- Developing a cycle network for your city
- Selecting cycle facilities
- Basic quality design principles for cycle infrastructure and networks
- Existing cycle infrastructure quality design guidance (and standards)
- How to use the cycle measure factsheets
- Selecting cycle measures for your city - Further considerations for applicability
- Cycle measures factsheets
- Health Economic Assessment Tool (HEAT) for walking and cycling
- Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans (SUMPs) and cycling
- BYPAD - Bicycle Policy Audit
- Cycling solutions