The Commission organized two public consultations, the first for the preparation of the Green Paper during the first half of 2007, and the second one after the publication of the Green Paper on Urban Mobility, between 27 September 2007 and 15 March 2008. For both consultations, the Commission organised large conferences, technical workshops on specific themes and internet consultations.
The first consultation had as its purpose the assessment of whether there was a specific role to play in urban mobility from the European Union perspective. Suggestions for urban mobility policy measures and proposals were included in letters and position papers submitted by different organisations, public bodies and citizens. This consultation demonstrated that there is a broad agreement among the stakeholders that the EU has a role to play, to help local authorities with urban mobility solutions.
Staff Working Document - Public consultation in preparation for the Green Paper on urban mobility
A second consultation phase was launched with the adoption of the Green Paper on Urban Mobility, in order to clarify the orientation of the EU policy on urban mobility, as well as the type of actions to be developed. The Green Paper provided twenty five questions for guidance. Contributions were received from individual citizens, organizations, operators and providers, local and regional authorities and national governments, thus providing a representative spectrum across all levels of society and governance in Europe.
Green Paper on Urban Mobility - Stakeholder Consultation Report
The main events organized by the European Commission during the two consultation phases are now presented, starting with the more recent ones:
Events during the consultation following the publication of Green Paper (27 September 2007 – 15 March 2008)
- Technical stakeholder conference on 31 January 2008
This half-day conference was organised in Brussels in the framework of the EU’s Sustainable Energy Week.
Stakeholder Consultation Report - Green Paper on Urban Mobility
Technical workshops focusing on the main themes of the Green Paper were organised in Brussels in March 2008.
- 5 March 2008 -Free-flowing towns and cities and Greener towns and cities
- 6 March 2008 - Smarter urban transport and Accessible urban transport
- 11 March 2008 - Safe and secure urban transport and A new culture for mobility
- 12 March 2008 - Financing and concluding workshop
EU national governments, the European Parliament, the Committee of the Regions, the European Economic and Social Committee and several stakeholders organized further events to collect input for their responses to the Green Paper on urban mobility.
Events during the consultation in preparation of the Green Paper (January – June 2007)
Conference on 31 January 2007
- Green Paper on Urban Transport: a new role for urban transport within the European transport policy [IP/07/118, 31/01/2007]
- Urban transport: problems, solutions and responsibilities
First Technical Workshop on 31 January 2007
- Promotion of Clean and Energy Efficient Vehicles
Second Technical Workshop on 6 March 2007
- Urban transport financing: experiences from different cities
Third Technical Workshop on 7 March 2007
- Public transport, intermodality and intelligent transport
Fourth Technical Workshop on 16 May 2007
- Integrated urban transport approaches for successful and attractive cities
Final conference on 4 June 2007
- Towards a European Policy for Urban Transport
Presentation on workshops and consultation
- Green Paper on Urban Transport: citizens and stakeholders have high expectations for European urban transport policy [IP/07/756, 04/06/2007]
- Internet broadcast recording of the conference