Regional Transport Action Plan for the Mediterranean Region
The first EuroMed Transport Ministers Conference was held in Marrakech in December 2005, coinciding with the 10th anniversary of the launch of the Barcelona Process.
It solicited the launch of the Regional Transport Action Plan (RTAP 2007-2013), comprising a set of actions in all modes (maritime, road, railways and civil aviation) and targeting regulatory reform and infrastructure network planning and implementation.
Technical support to the implementation of the RTAP is provided by on-going and future EuroMed regional projects (e.g. SAFEMED, Motorways of the Sea, land transport, road safety and the Aviation Project) as well as technical assistance and bilateral twinning programmes (TAIEX). The EuroMed Transport Forum, supported by various technical working groups, is monitoring the plan.
The 2013 EuroMed Transport Conference took place under the auspices of the Union for the Mediterranean (Brussels, November 2013). Co-chaired by the European Commission (in association with the Lithuanian Minister as Northern UfM Presidency) and by Jordan (Southern UfM Presidency), the Conference adopted a Declaration reaffirming the two complementary pillars of the Euro-Mediterranean transport cooperation: (i) regulatory reform and convergence in all relevant different transport sectors (maritime, civil aviation, road, railway and urban transport); and (ii) establishment of the future Trans-Mediterranean Transport Network (TMN-T), to be connected with the Trans-European Transport Network (TEN-T).
To pursue this approach EuroMed Transport Ministers took the following concrete decisions:
- Evaluation of achievements through the Regional Transport Action Plan 2007-2013;
- Guidelines for the next RTAP 2014-2020;
- Mandate to the EuroMed Transport Forum to continue its work on the indicative maps of the future Trans-Mediterranean Transport (core) Network, which is to be connected to the TEN-T.
Two follow-up actions took place after the 2013 Ministerial meeting:
(1) The High-Level Conference on the Financing of the Future Trans-Mediterranean Transport Network held in Civitavecchia (Italy) on 10th December 2014. Its objective was to bring together the Euro-Mediterranean partner countries, key European and international financial institutions as well as donors and private companies to mobilise financing in a coordinated manner to support the implementation of the Trans-Mediterranean Transport Network (TMN-T) to be connected to the TEN-T.
(2) Adoption in March 2015 of the Regional Transport Action Plan (RTAP 2014-2020) by the EuroMed Transport Forum comprising 23 actions in the areas of Maritime, Land (road, rail and urban), Air transport as well as integrated multimodal Euro-Mediterranean Transport Network. The RTAP, elaborated with and for the Mediterranean Partners from the southern neighbourhood, is designed to propose a reference framework for ensuring a complementarity and coherence between the bilateral, sub-regional, regional and international initiatives in the field of transport in the Mediterranean.
The EuroMed Transport Forum meeting is currently taking stock of results in view of the mid-term review of the RTAP 2014-2020 to be submitted to the next UfM Ministerial Conference.