At its plenary session of 26 November 2020, on proposal of DG MOVE, the Sustainable Transport Forum decided to set up three new sub-groups, including the sub-group on best practices of public authorities to support the deployment of recharging infrastructure (the “STF public authorities sub-group”).
Following a call for applications, on 26 February 2021 the Director-General for Mobility and Transport appointed the thirty-five members and three observers of this sub-group. On 21 February, the Director-General extended the mandate of the members, and again appointed three Observers.
This sub-group functions as a platform for exchange between public authorities on all matters to promote and facilitate the development of high quality recharging infrastructure. Specific Task Forces, proposed either by the Commission or by the sub-groups’ members, are set up to develop recommendations in specific areas. Currently, there are 6 standing Task Forces:
- Task Force 1: Development of Recommendations for permitting and grid connection procedures for recharging points
- Task Force 2: Development of templates, tools, decision trees and standard contracts for public authorities
- Task Force 3: Development of Recommendations for recharging infrastructure roll-out for specialized and captive fleets
- Task Force 4: Update SUMP Electrification topic guide
- Task Force 5: Development of Recommendations for Accessibility of recharging stations
- Task Force 6: Developments for fire safe deployment of recharging points in covered parking garages.
Additional Task Forces can be set up by the sub-group to develop other relevant recommendations.
The Guidance and Recommendations of this particular STF sub-group are disseminated and exchanged through a dedicated platform for Policymakers on the European Alternative Fuels Observatory.
The sub-group’s Terms of Reference, setting out its tasks and deliverables in detail, are available under the relevant documents here below.