At its plenary session of 26 November 2020, on proposal of DG MOVE, the Sustainable Transport Forum decided to set up three new sub-groups, including the sub-group on a common data approach for electric mobility and other alternative fuels (the “STFSub-group on Data”).
Following a call for applications, the Director-General for Mobility and Transport appointed on 25 February 2021 twenty-seven members and one observer to this sub-group.
This sub-group, with a permanent mandate, is tasked to assist the Commission in mapping and executing the necessary policy and technical elements to formalise and to put in place an open data ecosystem for electro-mobility and, to a wider extent, for other alternative fuels. In particular, the sub-group should examine and recommend the different data dimensions (aggregation, quality, sharing, reusability, provision, etc.) and data types (location, availability, price, payment methods, etc.) required to enable the future creation of new digital services in the alternative fuels market. The sub-group will build on the previous work of the PSAIDACS (Programme Support Action on ID codes and Data Collection of Alternative Fuels) and will collaborate with the PSA NAPCORE (Programme Support Action on National Access Points Coordination Organisation for Europe) , assisting the Commission in the preparation of further rules and requirements in terms of the different data dimensions, as part of the revision of the Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Directive, the ITS Directive and its Delegated Regulationsand in synergy with the European Alternative Fuels Observatory (EAFO) and the upcoming European Mobility Data Space (EMDS). .
The sub-group’s Terms of Reference, setting out its mission, tasks and timeline are available under the relevant documents here below. In addition, the sub-groups’s annual Working Programme, defining the concrete annual deliverables is also available. As part of the Working Programme 2023, the sub-group agreed on a future vision with a set of deliverables to be jointly developed with the STF Sub-group on Governance & Standards as of September 2023 bringing together experts from both sub-groups. Below, a summary of the present and future deliverables for the sub-group.
- Activity 1 (2023): Characterisation of the different data dimensions required to enable the future creation of digital services n the alternative fuels market.
- Activity 2 (2023): Mapping of the roles and responsibilities of the different types of market actors within the alternative fuels ecosystem.
- Activity 3 (2024): Developing high-level data uses cases between the energy and mobility sectors.
- Activity 4 (2024): Data exchange for EV charging use cases (smart and bidirectional charging).
- Activity 5 (2025): From market competition to user information issues in the electromobility ecosystem. Recommendations to ensure trust and transparency.