The EU aims to build a modern integrated transport system that strengthens the EU's global competitiveness and is able to meet the challenges linked to sustainable, smart and inclusive growth. The first step towards that goal is ensuring a well-functioning infrastructure that can transport people and goods efficiently, safely and sustainably. In 2017, the EU's physical infrastructure counts over 217,000 km of railways, 77,000 km of motorways, 42,000 km of inland waterways, 329 key seaports and 325 airports.
Through the Trans-European Transport Network policy, the EU aims to build an effective EU-wide transport infrastructure network. EU funding programmes and initiatives make available financial support to projects implementing the TEN-T:
- Connecting Europe Facility (CEF) – financial support for strategic investment in transport, energy and digital infrastructure.
- European Fund for Strategic Investment (EFSI) – supports investment in key sectors through financial guarantees.
- Horizon 2020 - provides funding for research and development projects with the aim of transferring great ideas from the lab to the market.
- European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIFs) , including notably:
- Cohesion Fund (CF) – supports projects reducing economic and social disparities and promoting sustainable development in 15 cohesion Member States.
- European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) – aims to strengthen economic and social cohesion in the European Union by correcting imbalances between its regions.
The European Climate, Infrastructure and Environment Executive Agency (CINEA) has launched its online public dashboard bringing together all the programmes that have been entrusted to it by the European Commission.
The Commission is speeding up the financing of 35 military mobility projects to support the transport of troops and equipment along the trans-European transport network (TEN-T).
Future Mobility: €40 million EIB loan for Cabify to finance a zero-emission fleet of electric vehicles in Spain
The EIB is providing the Spanish multi-mobility platform Cabify with a €40 million loan to decarbonise its fleet of vehicles in Spain, by increasing the availability of new electric vehicles and charging infrastructure across the country.
Trans-European transport network: Council agreement paves way for greener, smarter and more resilient transport in Europe
The European Commission welcomes the agreement enabling the EU to push ahead with building a sustainable and smart trans-European transport network (TEN-T) that connects 430 major cities with ports, airports and railway terminals.
Commission initiates feasibility study to better connect Ukrainian and Moldovan railway networks with EU
The European Commission is today taking another step towards improving the EU’s transport connections with Ukraine and Moldova.
Sustainable transport: EU boosts deployment of alternative fuels infrastructure with €292m funding in 23 Member States
The European Commission has selected 24 projects to receive EU funding to set up alternative fuels infrastructure.