To implement the 2021 EU Urban Mobility Framework, a reinforced platform for dialogue and co-creation of actions was announced. The goal is stronger engagement by Member States and improved dialogue with cities, regions and stakeholders on all urban mobility issues. The adoption of Commission Decision (C(2022) 5320) formally established the group.
Following a call for applications, DG MOVE received more than 150 applications from organisations as well as cities and regions to become members of the reformed Commission Expert Group on Urban Mobility (E03863). In addition, all EU Member States nominated a representatives at Ministry level.
Members were selected following a thorough evaluation process, and, as a result, the group includes representatives of:
- Organisations (25 stakeholders – Type C members)
- Cities and regions (25 authorities at regional or local level – Type D members)
- Member States (27 authorities at national level – Type D members)
The full list of members is available in the Register of Commission Expert Groups.
In accordance with Article 2 of the Commission Decision establishing the Group, its tasks are:
- to assist the Commission in implementing the EU Urban Mobility Framework;
- to advise and provide technical expertise to the Commission on developing and implementing future-proof and innovation-friendly legislation, policies, projects and programmes in the field of sustainable urban mobility, for example through recommendations, opinions, reports or analyses, contributing to a healthy urban environment;
- to develop cooperation and coordination between the Commission, Member States and stakeholders on questions relating to the implementation of EU legislation, programmes and policies in the field of urban mobility, including sustainable urban mobility planning, transport contingency preparedness and energy efficiency;
- to foster exchanges of experience and good practice in the field of sustainable urban mobility, including in cross-border regions;
- to advise the Commission on how to develop synergies between EU, national and regional funding and financing opportunities in research, innovation, development and deployment of safe, healthy, energy-efficient and sustainable urban mobility solutions for a better quality of life;
- to facilitate exchanges of information on initiatives, projects and partnerships on sustainable urban mobility, including the EU Mission on Climate-Neutral and Smart Cities.